Languages and Cultures Resources
- Academic Search Premier
- Full-text index to articles from over 4,500 periodicals covering all subjects, plus citations and abstracts for over 3,500 additional titles. Includes extensive coverage of journals in the fields of language and literature.
- Arts and Humanities Search (FirstSearch)
- A citation index referencing over 1,100 of the world's leading arts and humanities journals. Please note that access to this database is available only in the Library.
- Human Relations Area Files: Collection of Ethnography (Electronic HRAF)
- Full-text collection of ethnographic field reports and monographs covering the cultures of the world. An excellent resource for in-depth and comparative study of cultures.
- Proquest Complete
- ProQuest Central is a large multidisciplinary database indexing over 14,000 publications, the majority of them available in full text. Over 160 subjects areas are covered extensively in this product including business and economics, health and medical, news and world affairs, technology, social sciences, and more. The publications include over 6,500 scholarly journals, over 3,600 trade publications, over 2,000 magazines and newspapers, and over 800 industry reports, plus dissertations and theses, company annual reports, and videos. Please note that access to this database is restricted to currently enrolled students, faculty and staff.
- JSTOR Arts and Sciences Collection
- The JSTOR electronic journal collection includes the complete backfiles of over 300 major journals in a variety of subject disciplines. In addition to its 60 journals in the field of language and literature, JSTOR also features journals in area studies, film studies, folklore, and the performing arts.
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts [LLBA]
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA) assists both generalists and specialists in keeping abreast of developments in disciplines concerned with the nature and use of language. The database covers all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax and semantics. Complete coverage is also given to various fields of linguistics including descriptive, historical, comparative, theoretical and geographical linguistics.
- Literature Resource Center
- Full-text database includes a variety of resources for the study of literary figures and their work. Among the materials available for most authors are biographical essays, critical overviews of their work, essays in criticism from literary journals, bibliographies, web resources, and literary-historical timelines. The database is international in scope and covers authors from all eras of history.
- MLA International Bibliography
- The Modern Language Association's International Bibliography provides a classified listing and subject index for books and articles published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics. Compiled by the staff of the MLA Office of Bibliographic Information Services with the cooperation of more than 100 contributing bibliographers in the United States and abroad, the database annually indexes over 66,000 books and articles, along with relevant dissertations.
| Top of page |
Spanish and Latin American Resources
- AulaDiez Espanol Online
- This site allows you to learn Spanish with interactive Spanish exercises in the areas of writing and reading comprehension, through the use of multiple-choice, listening and association exercises.
- Spanish Unlimited
- Learn Spanish with everyday lessons from word tests, horoscopes jokes, recipes and vocabulary games.
- Learn basic Spanish terms through the use of descriptive vocabulary including, words for appearance, personality, the Internet, common proverbs and the weather.
| Top of page |
- Spain: Resources from the Library of Congress
- The Library of Congress series: Portals of the World provides sources about Spanish culture including books, travel, education, libraries and search engines.
- Spain: Spanish Language Newspapers
- Spanish language newspapers and magazines from Spanish cultures around the world.
- Sí Spain
- Interactive information services that supplies basic and frequently updated reference information on everyday Spanish life, history, language and culture.
- Latino Museums and Museums with Latino Collections
- Museums and other artistic sites displaying Latino art and culture from the Smithsonian Center for Latino Initiatives.
- El Museo Mexicano
- This site displays a collection of over 12,000 objects representing thousands of years of Mexican history and culture within the Americas. The permanent collection, includes five collecting areas: Pre-Conquest; Colonial; Popular; Modern and Contemporary Mexican and Latino; and Chicano Art. The Museum also collects rare books and has a growing collection of Latin American art.
| Top of page |
French and Francophone Resources
- Learn French
- List of the 100 most frequently used verbs with translations to assist you with basic tasks such as shopping, ordering in restaurants and other basic tasks.
- French, from the BBC
- This site from the British Broadcasting Network contains French language sources that enable you to gauge your level of speaking French.
- French Assistant
- French Lessons are provided by allowing you to tailor the content and settings of the site to your own level of French. Through the use of interactive pop-up windows that generate French questions and items that you can interact and practice with.
- French for Fun
- This is a beginners French site that provides lessons on the language plus information about the French culture and other links to French information.
| Top of page |
- French: Resources from the Library of Congress
- The Library of Congress series: Portals of the World provides sources about French culture including books, travel, education, libraries, search engines as well as other information about France.
- Le Monde Diplomatique
- This site contains an English edition of French newspaper with an European perspective. The site has a mix of free and paid-subscription articles.
- France Newspaper Portal
- This site provides a portal to all French newspapers that are available on the Web.
- Discover France
- Discover the arts, cuisine, history, language, literature, and travel destinations of France.
| Top of page |
Mark Sandford - Library Liaison to the Department of Languages and Cultures
Selected by M. Auguste
Updated: December 4, 2006