Urban Studies Resources
Reference Materials for Urban Studies
Bibliographies and Guides to the Literature
- Handbook of Urban Studies / Ronan Paddison. - London ; Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage, 2001. - Includes bibliographical references and index.
Call Number: HT151.H318
| Top of page |
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Encyclopedia of the City / Roger W. Caves. - London ; New York: Routledge, 2005. - Includes bibliographical references and index.
Call Number: REF HT108.5.E63
- Encyclopedia of Urban America: The Cities and Suburbs / Neil L. Shumsky. - Santa Barbara, Calif.: Abc-Clio, 1998. - 2 v; Includes bibliographical references and index.; vol. 1. A-L -- vol. 2. M-Z.
Call Number: REF HT123.E5
- Encyclopedia of Urban Planning / Arnold Whittick. - New York: McGraw-Hill, 1974. - Includes bibliographical references.
Call Number: REF HT166.E5
| Top of page |
Indexes and Databases for Locating Periodical Literature
- GEOBASE (FirstSearch)
- Bibliographic database provides geography, geology and ecology citations and abstracts. Covers journals, books, monographs, conference proceedings, and reports. Please note that this database is accessible only in the Library.
- Human Relations Area Files: Collection of Ethnography (Electronic HRAF)
- Full-text database containing more than a quarter of a million pages of descriptive information on the cultures of the world. The full-text materials are subject-indexed at the paragraph-level for precise retrieval of information on all aspects of cultural and social life. Searches on topics related to urban culture will usually yield documents from several different cultures, making this resource especially useful for comparative work. Please note that access to this database is restricted to currently enrolled students, faculty and staff.
- Sociological Abstracts
- Major index to scholarly literature in sociology and its various sub-disciplines. Includes abstracts of journal articles selected from over 2500 journals, abstracts of conference papers presented at various sociological association meetings, relevant dissertation listings from Dissertations Abstracts International, enhanced bibliographic citations of book reviews, and abstracts of selected sociology books. Please note that access to this database is restricted to currently enrolled students, faculty and staff.
- Urban Studies Abstracts
- The major bibliographic resource for current published research in urban studies, providing citations and abstracts for articles from over 190 periodicals as well as links to full-text content from the Library's online subscriptions [1986-Present].
| Top of page |
Selected Web Sites for Urban Studies Research
- Center for Urban Policy Research (Rutgers University)
- The Center for Urban Policy Research (CUPR) has served the nation with basic and applied research on a broad spectrum of public policy issues. It is nationally and internationally recognized for its research on affordable housing, land use policy, environmental impact analysis, state planning, public finance, land development practice, historic preservation, infrastructure assessment, development impact analysis, the costs of sprawl, transportation information systems, environmental impacts, and community economic development. The web site features a description of CUPR's current research areas and projects, a list of its published books, policy reports and working papers, affiliated institute links and CUPR's periodical, CUPReport.
- Lewis Mumford Center for Comparative Urban and Regional Research
- Established at the University of Albany in 1988 to carry out urban research both comparative and historical in scope, the Center honors the tradition of interdisciplinary scholarship established by Lewis Mumford (1895-1990), one of the most distinguished urbanists of the 20th Century. The Center's web site provides links to useful data sources, maps, teaching and educational material, and other resources linked to its current projects.
- Metropolitan Area Research Corporation
- The Metropolitan Area Research Corporation (MARC) is a non-profit research and geographic information systems (GIS) firm with a history of service to the public interest, government, philanthropy, academia, and private research institutions. MARC's expertise lies in presenting cutting edge demographic research through the striking spatial display of data. Samples of MARC's reports and maps are available on its web site.
- Metropolitan Policy Program (Brookings Institute)
- Created in 1996, the Brookings Institutionís Metropolitan Policy Program provides decision makers with cutting-edge research and policy ideas for improving the health and prosperity of cities and metropolitan areas. The web site includes numerous research publications, policy briefs and commentary, and a bi-monthly newsletter.
| Top of page |
Selected by R. Kearney - Library Liaison to the Geography and Urban Studies Department